Charles P. Tommasulo has been a lifelong advocate and educator for the needs and concerns of children and older adults. Since 1979, he has been employed by Family Service Agency of Mid Michigan (FSA).
There he has moved from Clinical Social Worker to Director of Professional Services to hold the position of Executive Director, which he assumed in 1990 and continues in today.He holds Masters Degrees in Social Work and Public Administration from the University of Michigan. During his time with FSA, he has focused on seniors, families and children with a special emphasis on intergenerational programming. Under his leadership, FSA’s in-home eldercare services, guardian/conservatorship, representative payee, visually impaired center, senior companion and foster grandparent programs have all flourished.
Mr. Tommasulo helped bring county prosecutors, hospital officials and social service providers in mid-Michigan together to create the Adult Abuse Protocol, a comprehensive tool for dealing with elder abuse. He also encourages his staff to join local, regional and national groups working for seniors and he shares success stories about how to better serve seniors and children. In addition to these local programs, Mr. Tommasulo works at the state and national level with organizations such as the Corporation for National Service to bring other senior program directors together, and to keep a close eye on the political activities at all levels of government.
In addition, Mr. Tommasulo is an Adjunct Faculty member at Mott Community College. Since 1986, he has taught classes focused on social welfare and community development.
- Genesee County Commission on Aging
- Genesee County Elder Abuse Task Force Member
- National Association of Social Workers (ACSW)
- Board Certified Diplomat – American Board of Examiners in Clinical Social Work
- Multi-Disciplinary Team Member Adult Abuse and Neglect
- 1997 Outstanding Service to Mott Community College and the Gerontology Program Award
- 1998 Recognition of Excellence Certificate from Mott Community College for Family Programs
- 1999 Certificate of Recognition for promoting & advocating senior programs from the Social Work Club of Mott Community College.
- 1999 Award from Michigan State University for outstanding contributions to the field of Social Services.
- 2001 Claude S. Pepper Award for Professional Leadership and Advocacy presented by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Senior Advisory Council.
- Head Start – Advisory Board
- Senior Companion Program – Advisory Board
- Foster Grandparent Program – Advisory Board
- The Disability Network (Center for Independent Living) Board President
- Mott Community College – Social Work Advisory Board
- Powers Catholic High School Board of Education
- BA, State University of New York at Buffalo 1976
- Major: Sociology
- Cum Laude
- MSW, University of Michigan 1979 Master of Social Work
- Major: Interpersonal Practice
- MPA, University of Michigan 1985 Master of Public Administration
- Major: Public Administration
- LMSW – Licensed Master of Social Work
- ACSW – Academy of Certified Social Work
- LFMT – Licensed Family and Marriage Therapist
- BCD – Board Certified Diplomate in Clinical Social Work